How intimidating is the gym to you?
I'll always remember the 1st time I walked into a gym. It was the early 90s and it was a spit and sawdust type place in West Croydon. What stood out for me was how HUGE everyone looked! Plus how everyone seemed to know what they were doing, AND they all seemed to be lifting weights the size of small houses! I look back at that now because this month (as we all know!) will have the largest annual influx of new faces into gyms worldwide!😱
I decided to wait until a few weeks into the NEW YEAR NEW ME phase before dropping MY 10 GYM COMMANDMENTS on y'all! (Huge Notorious BIG reference right there!)
Those who know know! 😉
1. Ask for help (i.e. An induction from your gym management team)
2. Where possible, get yourself a gym buddy, someone to train with. This person will serve as both your training partner, as well as the person who will get you in the gym every time you thing about NOT going in (Who does that I know!)
3. Set precise goals and timescales - Short, Medium, Long, and be proud to when you hit them (NO self hi-five are not weird AT ALL!)
4. Be Realistic - Don't expect abs in 6 weeks (despite what all those adverts say! 🙄
5. Be Patient - As above, realistically, don't expect to see huge changes after 3 gym sessions! Try 3 weeks, months, years!! 6. Don't compare with others - You don't know their origin, journey or destination. You do you and make that your only competition!
7. Be careful who you ask for help - Not all "Gym bros" know what they're talking about! So look for an actual Fit pro for guidance AND see point 10 below!
8. Be consistent - 3 weeks is only the start
9. Nutrition - If you're not in control of what's going in your mouth, managing energy(calories) in V energy out, you're basically swimming against the tide. See previous posts!
10. Finally - if in doubt get a PT - The end!👍🏾
Hi, Lou here, I'll be sharing my thoughts and insights via my blog regularly, so please stay tuned!